At home in the forest,
never quite out of
Off the back of a career in graphic design spanning five decades, now based in The Surrey Hills.
Self taught, pursuing a passion for photography and image making, taking inspiration from the local woodlands and countryside.
Paul Clarke (°1959, Surrey, United Kingdom) makes photos and mixed media artworks.
By examining the ambiguity and origination via retakes and variations, Clarke investigates the dynamics of landscape, including the manipulation of its effects and the limits of spectacle based on our assumptions of what landscape means to us.
Rather than presenting a factual reality, an illusion is fabricated to conjure the realms of our imagination.
His photos are notable for their perfect finish and tactile nature. This is of great importance and bears witness to great craftsmanship.
By exploring the concept of landscape in a nostalgic way, he tries to increase the dynamic between audience and author by objectifying emotions and investigating the duality that develops through different interpretations.
His works never shows the complete structure. This results in the fact that the artist can easily imagine an own interpretation without being hindered by the historical reality.
By focusing on techniques and materials, he considers making art a craft which is executed using clear formal rules and which should always refer to social reality.
His works establish a link between the landscape’s reality and that imagined by its conceiver.
These works focus on concrete questions that determine our existence.
Paul Clarke currently lives and works
• DMA Award winner for online advertising (Egg)
• Cannes Cyber Lions finalist (Mini)
• Marketing Week Marketing Effectiveness Awards; Best Campaign Winner
• Design of first F.A. Premier League online identity and website.
• Created identity for F.A. 2006 World Cup bid.
• Design of first web site store for Diesel online.
• Senior Graphic Designer on controversial logo for British Tourist Authority.
• Art Directors Club of New York Award winner
• IPA Gold Award, European Regional Design Annual
- Certificate of Design Excellence
• Revolution Award - best use of CDROM
• BIMA and DBA awards.
• Daily Express Blue Riband Award for Recruitment Advertising
There is more, but hey...